For most Kiwis out there, finding the cheapest price on household utilities is normally high up there on the priority list. This is especially the case when it comes to choosing a broadband deal. It makes sense; the cheaper the monthly plan, the less you’ll be paying each year on your internet. But is the cheapest broadband plan really the best choice? Is it better to find a great value package deal or simply pick the cheapest plan available? Will paying cheap prices mean lower data allowance and slower internet?
To help you learn a bit more about broadband cheapest deals from New Zealand’s leading broadband providers, we’ve gathered all the info you need to know on cheap internet in NZ.
Have you recently reviewed your monthly internet costs? Now is the perfect time to do so, as jumping online to do a little price comparison can reap you many benefits...
1. Cheap price - first and foremost, the biggest (and most obvious benefit) is that you’re paying a cheap price to enjoy your internet! Finding cheap broadband deals with the right provider can actually end up saving you hundreds of dollars each year. Kiwis have saved on average $200 per year by reviewing and switching broadband providers.
2. Options for all internet types - cheap broadband plans aren’t limited to one type of internet connection. Many providers have great low cost plans available for fibre, VDSL and ADSL connections. Although fibre internet is currently the fastest internet available in New Zealand, plans costs are similar prices to VDSL and ADSL.
3. New customer sign up deals - with so many of New Zealand’s internet service providers competing against each other for customers, they are now offering amazing sign up deals to get people on board. These new customer sign up deals range from Free television subscriptions to free account credit to free modems.
4. It’s easy to switch and save - along with offering extra goodies to get new customers on board, providers generally offer free setup and installation as well. This takes away the pressure of having to upfront for any equipment or installation costs that normally comes with switching to a new utility provider.
While there are plenty of benefits to reap with a cheaper broadband plan, there are some things to consider that may affect your decision…
1. Short term discounts - you may come across great deals that offer big discounts on broadband prices, but be sure to check how long the discount applies for. These deals are often only for a set time, and so will return to the standard monthly price after a certain time period.
2 Slower internet speeds - if you’re wanting the cheapest broadband plan available, you can’t expect to get the fastest speeds available. If you’re a heavy internet user, and like to stream, download and game regularly, choosing the cheapest plan may not support the speeds you’re expecting or accustomed to.
3. Contracts - in order to offer the cheapest prices and get sign up deals, most providers will require that you sign a contract (generally 12 to 24 months). This means that you won’t have the flexibility to change providers if you’re not happy with your current one, unless you pay a hefty termination fee.
4. Not available area - unfortunately, not everyone across the country has access to all of the cheapest internet deals. It all has to do with location and what internet options your property has available (whether ADSL, VDSL or ultra fibre).Kiwis who live in urban areas will find they have more cheap broadband plan options available to them than those who live rurally.
It’s never been easier to find the cheapest broadband plans in NZ, with the top providers in the country continuously offering great value deals for both homes and businesses. With so many competitive plans on the market, we’ve listed the cheapest ones currently available.
Before diving into the current best deals, it’s best to first determine what type of broadband connection you’ll need. The top recommendation would be ultra fibre broadband - you can check here to see if you can get fibre in your area. If you can’t get fibre, there are still plenty of VDSL and ADSL broadband deals available.
Orcon currently offer the best ADSL broadband plan - you get 6 months of broadband for HALF price! Pay only $44.98 for the first 6 month (and $89.95 for the remaining 6 months). Over 1,400 Kiwis have already taken advantage of this great deal, which includes free installation and setup as well as free modem rental. Slingshot and Vodafone are not far behind Orcon with offering the best ADSL internet deal. While Slingshot are offering new customers 3 months of FREE broadband, Vodafone are giving away $100 of broadband joining credit!
Once again, Orcon is the cheapest provider, once again giving new customers HALF price broadband for the first 6 months. That’s only $42.48 per month (for 6 months) for New Zealand’s fastest, most reliable broadband internet. It’s not surprising that over 10,000 Kiwis have chosen this broadband deal! Slingshot again, is a closer runner up on offering the cheapest broadband plan, again with 3 months of FREE broadband joining credit.
Broadband provider NOW has a very competitive deal too, offering a promotion price of only $69.95 per month for the first year.
Surprisingly, despite having faster speeds than an ADSL connection, broadband providers offer the same deals and prices for both VDSL and ADSL plans. That is, with Orcon offering HALF price broadband for 6 months, Slingshot giving 3 months of FREE broadband and Vodafone providing $100 of joining credit.
Coming out on top, Orcon is currently our cheapest broadband plan provider around. With their HALF price broadband for 6 months deal - on any type of broadband plan - it clearly is the cheapest broadband plan around.A few things to factor into finding the right plan for your needs is whether you need a landline and the contract length. These things can affect both the monthly cost, as well as what sign up deals are on offer.
Now that you’re aware of both the pros and cons of cheap broadband plans, you can make an informed decision as to which plan is best suited for you.
Using the Glimp broadband comparison tool, you can start comparing New Zealand’s cheapest broadband plans, from top providers like Orcon, Slingshot, Vodafone, Now, Nova Energy, MyRepublic and more.
Great news for Kiwis subscribed to the Fibre 100 plan! Chorus is finally done with their big fibre boost, which will increase y...
Are you considered a default KiwiSaver account holder? Significant changes are happening this 1st of December, 2021. Here are i...
Both the highlighted deals i clicked through to get turned out to be inaccurate speeds. Glimp saying 300/100 both providers only offering 100/20 for the price given, despite giving the same address in both sites. still giving 3 stars though as regardless the deals through Glimp are better than the standard advertised deals on the providers site.
Sign up didn't go quite the way it was meant to. But Kate called and she walked through everything so we could work out what went wrong. she was patient, friendly, supportive and kept me calm to finally get plan registration sorted ( still can't log in though - she must be magic )
Found it really easy to find what i needed and also got a call regarding what deals might be best suited etc. Saves a lot of time. Highly reccommend glimp