5 Things You Gotta Do in Wellington This Anniversary Weekend
THREE-DAY WEEKEND?! DID SOMEONE SAY THREE-DAY WEEKEND? HELL YES!
So what do you have planned for Wellington Anniversary Weekend? Getting out of town? No way! Save your travel money, avoid the traffic jams and stick around! We asked Denis and Michael, the two guys who started glimp last year while living in Wellington, to provide their top picks for everyone staying local for the three-day weekend:
- Fix your bike at Bike Space. Just opened this past week, Bike Space can give you some great advice on fixing that bike and turning it into something sweet to zoom around on. If you need some ideas on where to go after you mend your newly functioning ride, check out some trails here or here.
- A cheap yet still classy date idea: Watch the sunset at Owhiro Bay. If the weather is clear and calm around 8 pm, cosy up with someone and spend the evening watching the sun sink down. If you need some proof of how beautiful the sunsets can be, just take a wonder at what others have posted on Flickr. MetService suggests that Saturday and Monday may have the best weather for an evening outside.
- Go ‘bird watching’ at Birdman Wellington. On Monday, get a bunch of your mates and go down to the waterfront to watch some of Wellington’s most creative minds dress up in amazing costumes and jump off the wharf. Keen on giving it a go yourself? Just show up with your costume and get briefed by the staff. You could win one of five $50 prizes. Just check the website Monday morning -- if the weather is stink, coordinators will cancel on the day.
- Visit Thorndon Pool -- a secret and yet not-so-secret pool: A heated outdoor pool in the middle of the city? YES, PLEASE. Spa pool too? YES, PLEASE. No excuses: If the sun’s out, get your togs out (and sunscreen. And a stash of magazines. And snacks. Don’t forget the snacks.)
- Go eat brunch at someplace new you’ve been wanting to try. Long weekends are for lie-ins and getting up only for eggs and bubbles. Do just that at some place new! Floriditas is amazing, and there’s no surcharge on public holidays. Looking for other places that won’t add a holiday surcharge to the bill? Check out no-surcharge.co.nz, a site where cafes and bars can declare themselves surcharge free.
This three-day weekend, get off your couch, get out and get amongst it. When you come back, glimp can help you save some on broadband, power and credit cards. See how glimp can save you money at glimp.co.nz.